Weekly Violent Crime Map
August 21-27, 2023
(click to view)
A note about homicides
While we cross-check our numbers against coroner records, major offense logs, media reports, and any other source available, homicide numbers are subject to change as investigations progress. Homicides may be reclassified as “undetermined” if the coroner cannot definitively state whether the injury was self-inflicted, accidental, or intentional. More commonly, deaths initially listed as “unclassified” are reclassified as “homicide” after autopsy.
As of August 27, 2023:
Homicide Victims: 162
- Homicide in 2023 is 18% lower than the same time in 2022.
- Homicide total includes seven victims of vehicular homicide, four negligent, and approximately four which may ultimately be deemed as justified by the DA’s office. These will not be counted as “murders” by NOPD.
Nonfatal Shooting Incidents: 265
- There have been approximately 359 victims of nonfatal gunshot incidents in 2023, though this number is subject to change as investigations progress.
- At the same time in 2022, there had been 313 shooting incidents and approximately 437 nonfatal shooting victims (overall reduction of 19% in fatal/nonfatal shooting incidents and victims).
Carjacking Incidents: 109
- Carjacking incidents are down 44% relative to 2022 – still the biggest decline we are seeing in any major violent crime category since 2022.
- Continues to coincide with a substantial (116%) increase in auto theft (as of August 27, 2022, 2,278 auto thefts vs. 4,929 in 2023).
Armed Robbery Incidents: 264
- Armed robbery is 28% lower than this time in 2022 and 9% lower than the same time in 2019, though we remain moderately to slightly above 2020-2021 rates (+14% and +2%, respectively).
In 2022, there were 2,278 reported auto thefts as of August 27th.
There have been at least 4,929 reported auto thefts to date in 2023, an increase of 116% since 2022.
This is an average of 21 stolen cars per day, though we have improved since earlier this year, when the city was averaging 25 stolen cars per day.